THE Icelandic fishing company HB Grandi has signed a new deal which will see the installation of a revolutionary fishroom handling system for its new generation of wetfish trawlers.
The contracts, worth well over a million euros, are with Peninsula in Akranes and 3X Technology in Isafjordur and will be fitted on the vessels Engey, Akurey AK and Viðey RE. which are either being built or are due to be built.
There are two contracts – one for handling deck equipment and the other for an automated transport system tub.
The contracts are based on research and development of detailed handling of deck and fish room systems, with the aim of achieving significant improvements in yield and quality, while also minimising costs and improving crew working conditions.
The deck handling systems are designed with particular emphasis on facilities for utilising extremes, liver and Roest.
The trawlers’ deck handling systems are based on peninsula and 3X Technology Innovation, created in co-operation with the industry itself and research bodies Matis and ICEPRO rails in Saudárkrókur.
The main features of the deck handling systems are:
• High capacity bleeding and gutting lines ensuring improved handling of the fish.
• Analytical technology capable of automatically grading fish by species and weight.
• A two-stage process Rotex bleeding that ensures excellent effective bleeding and optimum quality.
• A two-stage process Rotex Chilling that delays rigor onset to extensions and improves freshness.
• Automatic grading and a Rotex Chilling process for redfish.
• Handling and chilling for roe, liver and extremes takes place in a Rotex process.
• Fish to be placed in tubs and on the processing deck.
The primary Advantages Offered by the transport system are:
• An unmanned fish room system.
• Automatic delivery of empty tubs from the fish room to the deck handling.
• Tubs to be filled and finished on the handling deck.
• Transport of tubs from the deck handling and stacking in the fish room is automatic.
• Fish Room inventory maintained automatically.
• Automatic loading and discharge.