Sixth World Fisheries Congress Published: 12 March, 2012
The 6th World Fisheries Congress (WFC) is taking place at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre from 7-11 May 2012.
Organised by The World Council of Fisheries Societies, the congress will address Sustainable Fisheries in a Changing World, examining current and future issues surrounding sustainable fishing and exploring informed global solutions.
Under discussion will be the science that underpins sustainable fishing; adaptive management and tools to cope with changing environments; the social and economic cost of failure; and meeting increasing food and nutrition needs through aquaculture.
More than 2,000 delegates are expected over the five days, to hear from speakers from industry, science, fishing and aquaculture. Confirmed keynote speakers include:
· Professor Ray Hilborn (University of Washington, Seattle, US)
· Mike Mitchell (Head of Corporate Social Responsibility, Youngs Seafood and Findus Group, UK)
· Professor James L. Anderson (The World Banks leader of Global Program on Fisheries and Aquaculture PROFISH)
· Eric C. Schwaab (US National Marine Fisheries Service)
· Professor Katsumi Tsukamoto (University of Tokyo Department of Marine Bioscience, Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute)
· Dr Malcolm Beveridge (Director of Aquaculture and Genetics at the WorldFish Center, Zambia)