Algal toxins warning for shellfish gatherers at Loch Spelve, Mull Published: 04 September, 2012
Monitoring work undertaken by Argyll and Bute Councils Environmental Health service has identified raised levels of naturally occurring algal toxins have occurred in Loch Spelve, on the south-east side of the Isle of Mull, within Argyll and Bute, Scotland.
Eating shellfish such as cockles, mussels, oysters or razor fish from these areas may pose a risk to human health and notices to warn the public and casual gatherers have been posted at various locations on the shore. Commercial shellfish harvesters in these areas have been contacted by the council and steps taken to postpone harvesting until algae levels subside.
It is a sensible precaution to avoid eating shellfish from this area until further notice.
Monitoring work is currently being undertaken by the council to evaluate this situation and when the situation subsides, the warning notes etc will be removed.